Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Slice of Life Tuesday: A Wintry Tableau

Note: I'm linking up with the Two Writing Teachers Blog for Slice of Life Tuesday today!




Over the long weekend, the ice came to St. Louis. Though it kept me cooped up for a few days, I found some inspiration while looking outside of my window. I'll preface this piece by saying that poetry isn't my strong suit, but I'm trying to push myself to attempt to branch out with my writing. After doing some sensory observations, this is what I came up with:

When the ice comes,
Everything holds
Its breath
As frozen fingers trail
Down the spine of today,
Leaving behind
A garland of crystals,
A smoothing of rough edges,
A quiet beauty.


When the ice comes,
Everything holds
Its place
As gray mist gathers
Around the edges of today,
Leaving behind
A shroud of silence,
A hush felt deep inside,
A wintry tableau.

8 comments:

  1. Great images "spine of today"...Love this. You have perfectly captured an ice storm and its aftermath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that line "When ice comes everything holds it's breath" because as I went outside Sunday night, it seemed that everything, the dogs, the cows, the coyotes, all of them had held their collective breath.

    Thank you for sharing your icy slice with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the image of frozen fingers trailing "down the spine of today." I'm so glad the ice motivated you to push yourself to create this lovely poem and that you shared it today. My post today also focused on ice, namely some amazing natural ice sculptures I discovered on a walk. Tis the season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had a very cold winter in Idaho and I have been struck over and over by how beautiful winter is. I've been noticing lots of love of winter in things I've been reading, but mostly snow. Such a lovely picture of ice you paint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure that you don't need to apologize for not being a poet! Your combinations of words are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, liked the "fingers on the spine" and the mist "around the edges of today." I felt 'today' (appropriately) shiver under the ice's touch. Thanks for sharing, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this almost describes my winter setting outside my house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a lot of us related to the your subject! Love your words, " As frozen fingers trail / Down the spine of today,"... Do you share on Poetry Friday? I believe it is being hosted by Violet at Violet Nesdoly Poems https://vnesdolypoems.wordpress.com on Friday this week.

    ReplyDelete