Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Slice of Life Tuesday: The Art of the Rage Bake #sol17

Thanks to the Two Writing Teachers blog for hosting Slice of Life Tuesday! 
Holly Golightly calls them "the mean reds." I call it the February funk. Either way, last night, I was in A Mood (capitalization intentional). And when I am in A Mood, I rage bake.

Rage baking is easy. It's just like regular baking...except more dramatic. You get out all of your rage, and you end up with (in my case) chocolate chip cookies. A win-win, really.

So, last night, when the mean reds were circling around me like vultures looking for a meal, I knew what to do. I peered into my pantry and spied the bag of Ghiradelli chocolate chips I had hidden in the back corner in an attempt to fool my sweet tooth. The package crinkled in my hands as I grabbed it and tossed it onto the granite countertop behind me. My silver canisters of flour, sugar and baking powder followed and were soon joined by the eggs and two (!) sticks of butter that the recipe on the back of the bag called for.

I lined up my ingredients like a soldiers ready to head into battle. And with that, the rage baking began. I tossed flour, annihilated eggs (no shells, don't worry), liquefied butter, and beat it all together into submission. Despite the sweet aroma that floated around me, my brow remained furrowed as I dug the mixers even deeper into the glass bowl that held my concoction. The oven chirped a cheery tune, signaling that it was preheated and ready, but I wasn't ready to be cheerful. Yet.

I eyed the recipe on the bag. Two cups of chocolate chips. I scoffed. A mood like this calls for the whole bag. An evil grin spread across my face as I shook the bag until every last chip was in the bowl. As I folded the chocolate in (more aggressively than necessary), I realized that I was already starting to feel better.

Scoop, plop, repeat. My tray that has the evidence of years of rage baking written all over its well-seasoned surface filled up quickly with tiny mounds of batter that would soon morph into rage cookies. I opened the oven and shoved my first batch in, slamming the door.

As my kitchen filled with the seductively sweet aroma of freshly-baked cookies, I felt the mean reds fade into a more subdued rosy hue.

Rage baking: works every time.

23 comments:

  1. Love your term rage baking...and the point at which you began to feel better, when the chocolate chips were folded into the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great description -- I felt like I was in your kitchen with you. And chocolate -- what a good choice! It always makes things better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of rage baking, but let me tell you. I've been in a bad mood for a couple of days. I think I need to start rage baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that from several people! Which planet is in retrograde??

      Delete
  4. Love the idea of rage baking and the great word choice! I used to bake as a stress reliever until the doc said I had high cholesterol--6 months later I haven't had ONE piece of chocolate and have scarcely baked but I do have excellent cholesterol levels. I miss those baking days and loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rage cookies are given away, so that helps cut down on the "bad stuff!"

      Delete
  5. Wonderful to imagine this raging evening, but with the sweetest reward! And this "I tossed flour, annihilated eggs (no shells, don't worry), liquefied butter, and beat it all together into submission." brought lots of laughs. Thanks for a perfect description of this term new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you bake them and I will eat them! Then we will both be happy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deal! My colleagues were the happy recipients of my rage cookies today.

      Delete
  7. You can send those rage baking items to: Darin, Middle of Nowhere, Iowa!

    What a great way to talk about both dealing with anger AND baking! I love it.

    Thank you for sharing this angry, yet sweet slice with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this slice Katie! It makes me think of the chapter from The Stories Julian Tells- The Pudding Like a Night on the Sea...

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I love the concept, but I also LOVE the way you wrote it! You have the perfect balance of details, action, thinking, and description. I hope you share this piece with students as a powerful slice of life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, I love the concept, but I also LOVE the way you wrote it! You have the perfect balance of details, action, thinking, and description. I hope you share this piece with students as a powerful slice of life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's true: Butter *does* make things better. So many fun turns of phrase here! As a favorite, I'll pick, "Despite the sweet aroma that floated around me, my brow remained furrowed" since it captures the excellent juxtaposition of rage baking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderfully descriptive piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rage baking sounds like a nifty way to get rid of angst.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this Slice! I haven't tried rage baking, but I definitely identify myself as a stress baker--the best chocolate chip cookies I ever made were the night before National Board scores were released. :) I love how you've written this, focusing not on why you were so angry but instead on how you channeled the emotion and turned it into something good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of those slices I wish I had written. So absolutely perfect! You should definitely use it as a mini-lesson on tone/mood!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carol says it all! This slice is a great example of something good coming out of something bad! Rage baking sure beats road rage!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Priceless!
    I loved is slice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Priceless!
    I loved this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the term rage baking and I see what you mean, Katie. This is another yummy slice.

    ReplyDelete