Sunday, March 5, 2017

05/31: 12 PM in the Botanical Garden #sol17

Thanks to the Two Writing Teachers blog for hosting the #sol17 challenge!
Author's Note: Poetry isn't my strong suit, but I'm trying to write more of it. This is about a small moment while visiting the Missouri Botanical Garden (AKA one of my favorite places).  

Koi like colorful submarines 
Open and close their mouths
Begging for food

Next to the shore where a duck
stands, moving from one orange foot
To the next 
Saying "Don't forget me"
With his persistent quacks

While a toddler watches,
Enraptured with every move,
Especially when the duck
Takes flight
Over the bridge

Where I stand
Beside a man who asks 
If the Chinese Garden 
Is called that because it serves
Chinese food 

As the painter who sits
Just off the bridge 
Captures all of this
The koi
The duck
The toddler
The man
Me
And the higan cherry tree
In full bloom

On his canvas
At 12 PM
In the Botanical Garden.

The aforementioned higan cherry tree



8 comments:

  1. You may think that poetry is not your strong suit, but I thought this was wonderful! I love how you culminated all the things you described into a painting. I'd love to visit that botanical garden - makes me in the mood for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I felt like I was right there with you, watching that duck fly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful poem. We love Botanical Gardens too, always trying to visit them when we are in a new city. You make me want to head over to yours soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've managed to capture so many small moments here! I visited the Missouri Botanical Garden when I was in St. Louis for the ILA Conference a few years ago. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Holly, Jennifer, Phyllis and Rose! You have captured a series of small moments and stacked them one on top of another beautifully. You make me want to head over to the Denver Botanic Gardens, which is one of my favorite places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poetry is inspiring and I think the way the stanzas are written feels like the movement of that duck! Sort of soaring...keep writing poetry. I think you have a knack for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I have been trying to write more poetry too. This is inspiring and just what I was hoping to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think poems are tricky. For me, it is the over thinking that makes the trouble.
    It has been a long time since I've been to the Botanical Gardens. You captured your moment perfectly here.

    ReplyDelete