Tuesday, March 14, 2017

14/31: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow #sol17

Thanks to the Two Writing Teachers blog for hosting the #sol17 writing challenge!

Making a pie that you personally won't be able to eat is the ultimate sacrifice, I've decided. 

When my husband told me that his office was hosting a pie contest for Pi Day, I knew this would be a test of my willpower and my selflessness. After all, my s'mores pie is decadent, delicious and hard to refuse (if I do say so myself). 

Because of this, last night, I found myself crushing graham crackers with a little more force than necessary (which resulted in tiny tan-colored flecks flying across my kitchen) and whisking the chocolate into the cream like I was trying to create my own version of Charybdis. This wasn't quite the same as rage baking...this was more like jealous baking. 

I pulled the pie out of the oven and placed the marshmallows on top in a way that could only be described as wistful. With the broiler set to low, I slid the pie back in and sat in front of the oven, cross-legged and watchful as the marshmallows gleamed under the oven's light. The moment they began to turn brown, I scrambled to my feet and rescued my sugary confection. After all, I wasn't about to let all of my hard work literally go up in flames...no matter how much I wanted to yell, "If I can't have it, NO ONE CAN!"  

I swaddled my pie in Saran Wrap and sent it to work with my husband this morning. Our farewell was sentimental and tender. Parting was (literally) such sweet sorrow. (I'm talking about the pie, by the way. I get to see my husband again!) 

I don't know if Scott will win his Pi Day Pie Contest, but hopefully his coworkers will enjoy the fruits of my labor (despite the fact that my pie might be laced with a bit of my bitterness). I'll be sitting here at work, consoling myself with the fact that my hard work has brought happiness to others. Doesn't taste quite as satisfying, but hey, at least it's calorie-free! 

9 comments:

  1. After reading this slice I immediately googled S'mores Pie . . .
    Not only you have a way with words but also baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is so deliciously written! I love how you showed your feelings through the excessive crushing of the graham crackers and the whisking. What a perfect example of Show, Don't Tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, since I am a baker, I found your slice a really tasty treat. The way you wove the words around the process was truly appreciated by me. Now, I am off to see what a s'mores pie is. Thanks for the creative incentive to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post makes me smile from ear to ear with a twinge of jealousy for those who will get to eat it and an awareness that you put a lot of work into something for your hubby! I hope he won...but even if he didn't win the bake-off...he won a generous bride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me smile from ear to ear with a twinge of jealousy for those who will get to eat it and an awareness that you put a lot of work into something for your hubby! I hope he won...but even if he didn't win the bake-off...he won a generous bride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the red accent! What a spectacular gift to bestow upon your husband's colleagues. I can't wait to hear who wins the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your writing was full of imagery and emotion. I also liked the Charybdis reference! Hopefully they enjoyed the pie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like Heidi does. I want some of this! Wonder how many weight watchers points???

    ReplyDelete