Friday, March 24, 2017

24/31: A Diaper Cake is Born #sol17

Thanks to the Two Writing Teachers blog for hosting the #sol17 writing challenge! 
When Becca, my sister, first told me that we were going to make a diaper cake for my sister-in-law's baby shower, several thoughts ran through my head.

What the hell's a diaper cake? Is it edible? Does this involve some sort of disgusting chocolate-posing-as-poop sorcery? Why are we calling attention to what probably tops the "Worst Part of Having Kids" list? 

However, I soon learned that a diaper cake is literally a cake made out of diapers. I know very little about child-rearing, but I do know that babies are excellent at eliminating, so since Emily (my sister-in-law) is having twin girls, it made sense to buy her a crap-ton (pun intended) of diapers. 

In lieu of handing a loved one a 128-count box of Pampers at a baby shower, some bored  creative person came up with the concept of a diaper cake. Since the image we were working off of had been pinned on Pinterest approximately a bazillion times, I was confident that Becca's decision to make one of our own was a good one. It was what one does for a baby shower, apparently. 

So, this afternoon found me handling way more diapers than I ever planned to touch. To create a diaper cake, basically, you take a Pamper, place it on a flat surface, roll it up until it resembles a little diaper taquito, and secure it with a rubber band. You repeat this tedious process until you have hands that smell like baby powder and enough rolled diapers to squish together to create a cake tier. Rinse and repeat until you have three "layers." Voila...a diaper cake is born. With the two of us working together, our cake came together in less time than it would take for me to figure out how to put a diaper on a real baby. 

While I got to work on the (edible) carrot cake that I was baking for the shower, my sister fancied up our confection with some pink ribbons and a few well-placed bows. On the top of our cake, she added the finishing touch: a pink rubber duckie. 

"What do you think?" she said. 

I looked up from my mixing bowl and assessed the situation. On one hand, it's a cake made of diapers. On the other hand, it's a cake made of diapers. It was practical and just a little bit silly. Even me, who usually scoffs at things that only exist for the sake of being cute, couldn't help but smile.

"It's perfect." 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds clever, but I think I'd rather have the carrot cake thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned so much here :) I appreciate the roller-coaster tones in your writing, tracing the self-aware ups and downs of this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...I laughed and smiled throughout this slice. You've never lived until you've made a diaper cake. Thanks for the honest humor. Sounds like it all turned out perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious! I love your voice throughout the piece (crap-ton- perfect!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you'd taken a picture, although you did a great job with words. You have a really strong and funny voice as a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Melanie -- I'd have loved to see a photo. Your story is funny and moves along very well, and I like the way you use italics, but the picture would have been the icing on the, ahem, cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these gifts! And you kept us in suspense as we imagined a diaper cake. I liked your detailed descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way this was written. But given the choice between the two "cakes" I prefer the carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remind me to show you my pictures of my diaper cakes! I Love your use of the crossed through word bored and your use of italics. It was the perfect way to add your voice to this piece!

    ReplyDelete