Wednesday, March 29, 2017

29/31: The Beauty of Nothing #sol17

Thanks to the Two Writing Teachers blog for hosting the #sol17 writing challenge!

I lie face up, eyes closed. My hands, fingers splayed, rest by my sides. I breathe. The yoga mat I'm on is an island, one that refuses to play host to worries or stress. 

The light changes as the instructor passes by, casting a brief shadow as she moves slowly past me. I hear a gentle shushing sound, and suddenly, a fine mist surrounds me. Tiny droplets rain across my face, and I am enveloped with the soothing scent of lavender and mint. 

"Don't think about everything you have to do once you leave here."

The instructor's voice begins to blend with the slowing thumps of my heartbeat that echo in my head as I fade into the sort of beautiful nothingness that is so rare for me these days. The song trickling through the speakers in the room crescendos in time with the rise and fall of my chest. Everything is rhythmic; everything is in sync. 

I feel my muscles relax, my tendons like shoelaces that are loosened on a tied-too-tightly pair of shoes.  I feel my eyelids stop fluttering. I feel the room melt away as the lines of reality blur. I feel the simple luxury of the absence of feeling, the freedom to truly think about nothing.   

"Start to return. Become present again." 

I slowly open my eyes. The late afternoon sun seems amplified, brighter than normal. I feel the strange sort of unease that comes with returning to normalcy, the same feeling I get when I arrive home after a long trip away. This is how things should be, but I'm not quite ready to be here yet.

The transition is abrupt. I hear the traffic rushing by outside. The clock on the wall next to me admonishes me with its hands that are resting on the 6 and the 12. My mind suddenly feels like the Dursleys' house in the first Harry Potter book when all of the letters come flooding in, despite desperate attempts to keep them out.

I'm not quite ready to be here yet. I close my eyes again. I breathe. I put my brain on silent. Because right now, I want to stay on my island of escape for just a moment longer. 

5 comments:

  1. I love this slice! Your descriptions were so accurate, especially the feeling of not wanting to start that re-awakening process. Last night as we were finishing our practice, I truly could not make myself move my fingers or toes to get started. Perhaps I was where you were- not ready to leave my island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pace of this piece is so, so, so perfect. I feel like I am right there with you, with lavender and mint spritzing over me (and I have never ever done yoga). Another absolutely gorgeous piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, another wonderfully descriptive piece! Love the tension between your place of peace and the bustling world outside.
    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, another wonderfully descriptive piece! Love the tension between your place of peace and the bustling world outside.
    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and me both! You have to tell me where you practice! I loved your comparison to shoe laces...so inventive and perfect at the same time.

    ReplyDelete