Tuesday, May 9, 2017

I Think I Want a Kid #sol17



Sunday morning, I found myself face to face with approximately 50 hungry kids, armed with only two tiny bottles barely filled with milk.

This isn't going to be enough, I thought to myself, looking at the melee of hungry toddlers that swarmed around the area, searching for a bottle to latch on to. The kids were needy. Pushy. Whiny. But boy, were they cute. Even when they bumped against my shins with their heads in a not-so-subtle request for some milky goodness. All uncouth behavior aside, the sight of these kids stirred something inside me that I had never felt before: a longing to have one of my own.

I imagined myself, sitting in a sun-dappled room, holding my kid in my arms. I'd rock back and forth gently and hum a maternal tune as he slurped eagerly from a bottle, looking at me adoringly with big brown eyes. Sure, there'd be the whining and the use of brute force to get my attention, but underneath every head butt would be a subtle showing of love. In my mind, I could already hear my kid's first words: "maaa maaa."

Something warm brushed up against my legs, breaking me out of my reverie. I looked down. Two sets of hunger-addled eyes stared up at me. I have a job to do, I reminded myself, brandishing my bottles like a woman ready to head into some sort of milk-centric battle.

I stooped down. Instantly, I was surrounded. One kid clambered into my lap, while another circled around me, searching for an opening. I expertly inserted a bottle into each waiting mouth, tilting them upright for maximum milk flow. Must be my maternal instinct, I thought to myself. My smooth moves were rewarded by smacking lips, rounded bellies and slow blinks of pleasure. I'm a natural, I thought proudly.

As the bottles quickly emptied, I looked up at my husband.

"I think I want a kid."

He rolled his eyes at me, taking in the scene in front of him with a bemused smile on his face.

"Katie, we are not getting a baby goat."





6 comments:

  1. That is amazing! You and your husband sound awesome. I love your point of view for this and how you spun it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, You are a beautiful writer. And this piece is so cleverly crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That. Was. Awesome. Goats are naughty though, and will eat anything and everything (says the voice of experience). Thank you for this crafty, well written slice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! This went in a totally different direction than I initially expected. Nice to see you enjoying the company of the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you should spend a weekend with someone else's kids before you decide! :) http://www.goatyoga.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had going right until the end. Nice! Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete